All are invited to the dedication of the Martin Berry House on Saturday, October 13, 2018, hosted by the Pequannock Township Historical Society, to commemorate the purchase and preservation of the house by the township.
The event will take place at the Martin Berry House, 581 Route 23, Pompton Plains NJ from 12 noon to 4 pm. Click here for a map.
This ceremony is our way of thanking the Morris County Freeholders, members of the Morris County Historic Preservation Trust, our local Town Council, and others who made this acquisition possible.
Built in 1720 by Dutch settlers, and listed on the national and state Register of Historic Places, the Martin Berry House is among the oldest houses in NJ, and one of the very few that have survived substantially unaltered since its construction.
A Town Crier will begin the ceremony at 12 pm, followed by remarks by local, county & state elected officials and others including members of the Morris County Historic Preservation Trust, members of other historical societies, and honored guests.
An informal gathering will immediately follow on the grounds. There is no admission fee, but donations will be gratefully accepted.
Exhibits will include a blacksmith, Bill Barrett, who will demonstrate smithing techniques on site, and a demonstration of metal-detecting techniques by the ECRDA, a local treasure-hunting club. ShamRock School of Music will donate an acoustic set of Americana Music at the event.
The event will run from 12 pm to 4 pm. Parking will be available on Cedar Road, May Ave, Oping Road, and nearby streets on the west side of the house. Space will be reserved for handicapped and VIP parking only.
For more information, email Secretary@PequannockHistory.org or leave a message at 862-666-9784.
The Martin Berry House, built in 1720, was purchased in 1951 by Charles and Eleanor Bogert, who restored and maintained the house with the intention of eventually selling it to Pequannock Township.
The Bogerts populated the two-story Dutch colonial with period antiques and, for many years, invited local schoolchildren and others to visit the house for hands-on education in colonial life. Charles Bogert passed in the late 1980s, leaving his wife — now 99 — to continue their mission.
The Bogerts’ dream was finally realized in 2017 when the township purchased the house using grants and other funds. The house is currently not open to the public, although private tours are available. Once upgraded to meet modern codes, the house will be open to the public as a ‘living museum’, community meeting place, and historic education center.